Posts Tagged ‘steel wide body’

So its time for a write-up on Vik’s 350z.

It was a few years back now and Vik had dropped off his stock red 350z for us to let loose on. Along with the car were a set of wheels which back then in little old NZ were big and ran a very low offset. (not so much these days)

Next to be dropped of was a INGS rear bumper and JP Sports front and sides and alot of carbon trims.

As the 4 and rotary nationals were getting closer it was time to get started on this transformation so the wheels were test fitted and cutting started.

The front guards were cut and spaced around 50mm at the top and pumped around another 20mm  in the arch.

We also dropped the lower part of the guard down the skirt and extended the back edge around an inch to overlap the door edge and give the front end some extra length.

Next was onto the rear guards where we prepared a new rear arch keeping a similar to stock shape, With this tacked on alone it looked very plain and bubble like. We then decided it needed a vent similar to some rear brake ducts etc so cut that in and added a top sheet leading to the door edge to fill out the rear quarter a little more.

Widening the kit was next on the list, during this process of chopping and glassing we discovered that the side skirts were actually 50mm lower than the front kit even though they were same brand and model kit. Only thing to do was to chop the front in half and drop it to match the skirts.

Nationals was getting closer and with around 200 hours down on this car and just over a week left to have it finished reality kicked in.

We got it in primer and picked a colour. Vick originally wanted to paint it pink but i managed to sway him into running with a custom cocacola brown.

We also air brushed then smoked the tail lights and tinted all the carbon yellow to match the brown as it had a blue/gray tone to it to start with.

Around another 100 hours later I was a walking zombie but the car was ready for the show.

All this hard work ended up paying off when we came away with 3 awards  and it was time for Vik to take it for his first drive in it.

Check out Viks site for aftermarket lights and mufflers. http://www.convik.com

So after the auckland nats just been in january Aarons Widebody FC rx7 has once again recieved alot of attention and i dont blame everyone.
We completed the body work and paint late 2009, while we had it in our shop finishing touches were being done on his motor, some bad luck passed Aarons way and while on the dyno the motor blew.
Next on the list was bigger and better and just over a year later it has had its first tune and is running with a good ammount of HP.

Ill get into the body work side of things now, The car was dropped off along with the kit including fiberglass front guards.
I am not a fan of fiberglass guards full stop as the quality is usually bad and fitment is not easy yet we decided to battle with them and make them work.
Aaron talked about a matching set of glass rear wide body guards and got the quick no from me, I wont mould them onto steel as it really doesnt work well, heat on steel and glass causes problems and it does not bond propelry.
I finally managed to talk him into a set of custom steel guards and off i went researching how I/we wanted it to look.
We opted for a factory look but had to look staunch.

If you have seen other wide body fc’s they have a very short rear 1/4 where it goes into the door and to get a decent width it seriously looks stupid with the massive kick out. To solve this i decided to bring the wide body into the door so the car still has flow to it. I made some templates and had Aaron in to to give it the ok, Then came to chopping up.
Quarters were chopped and fully removed along with part of the inner guard and so was the door section to allow clearance for the massive 19inch work meisters he wanted to fit.
From the templates, I cut and folded the steel allowing for factory handles and mouldings to still be fitted (yet we had to fabricate moulds for longer mouldings) and started welding. A hundred or so hours later the rear gurad work was done and it was time to do the kit.

Since the first time i seen the supermade kits for the s chassis nissans I liked them, I showed some pics and we took part of the front umper style into account with this one, the vent below the bonnet on the top of the bumper looks good and allows for some more air to pass into the bay.
Skirts and rear needed to be modified to suit the new guards so that work was undertaken.

The last thing on the list was colour, It needed to be touch and suit the car.
We talked about a few options yet satin black kept popping back up. The one reason we kept thinking to not use it was that it was commonly done and not very well, Its very hard to spray and get even and nice finish, you cant allow for buffing or colour sanding basically what you spray is finished.
I had done a few before using what i will call a ‘GT race black’ and that was it. Jams were sprayed including the full cage and bay ready for the car to be fitted up and rolled back into the booth. Final coats were sprayed and it was done.

Keep an eye out for this soon it will be out and about